Sunday, September 16, 2007

Reflection on Neighborhood Study

After completing the neighborhood study, it is evident that there are many schools and businesses within walking distance from Hardy. Although the number of area businesses undoubtedly overshadows the other schools, I think that focusing on those other schools will nicely complement many other Social Studies lessons. In particular, I would want to focus on incorporating the arts into my lesson plans and studying history through the arts. Both the Corocran College of Art and Design and the Duke Ellington School for the Arts likely offer fascinating resources upon which I could draw my lesson plans from. Because middle school is a definite "stepping stone" and the Ellington is the closest high school to Hardy, I would want to help prepare as many students as possible for their potential transition into that school by getting their feet wet through art.

No comments: