Saturday, September 8, 2007

Learning Processes Entry #1

While I was reading a selection for my Intro to Islamic Societies class, I found the selection to be extremely difficult to follow. There was a lot of information packed into the small 20 page selection, and as I initially began reading it, I found it extremely difficult to retain much of the information but simply "reading" it without rereading as I went along. Within the first five minutes of reading, I found that I had to start over using a method that I've developed and tnd to use when reading very content heavy material.
  • Read the topic sentence in order to preview the paragraph.
  • Read the topic sentence again, along with the rest of the paragraph, and highlight the crux of the material.
  • Reread the paragraph sentence by sentence, determine its importance, and highlight it if necessary.
  • The highlights then serve as a way to quickly refer back to important parts of the reading, whether during class discussions or while studying.

No comments: